Who is Orange Sink?

My photo
Rice Lake, WI, United States
My home town is Rice Lake, a small town in northern Wisconsin. I own Red House Wool Studio~ an in-home wool and rug hooking business. I enjoy collecting and decorating with antiques and primitives. Orange Sink Blog is a journal of my interests and ramblings about life. Cathy Greschner

Email Me Here

Friday, November 27, 2009

The Finished Mat~A Bittersweet Thanksgiving



Photobucket
These colors make me happy. There is a nostalgic feel about this little mat. It reminds me of old wool mittens, snowpants and those cute little plaid wool coats we all wore as kids in the 50's. Yes, the 1950's. Remember those? I must dig through my Mother's old photos and see if I can come up with some of those cute coat photos!
We are moving my Mom to an apartment in an elderly complex this weekend. I will come across the boxes of old photos. However there won't be much time to browse through them. We have lots to move and a few hours to do it. It is a bittersweet time for our family. Mom knows she has to make this move for her safety and well being. It's very tough. "The apartment's too small" she says. "Where will I put all my stuff?" I take a deep breath and softly say "Maybe this is only temporary." Maybe, but most likely not. "We'll see come spring. Let's just get through the winter and see how you like it. Maybe it will feel more like home."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    Your little mat is beautiful. I hope your Mom's move went smoothly this weekend. I'm sure it was a bit traumatic for all of you. But I'm sure she will quickly make some friends and enjoy her new surroundings. Sometimes a little change can go from scary to positive quicker than we anticipate. Keep us posted on her progress.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy...yes, I had a coat in that red plaid and love it to bits. Hope everything is going okay with your mom's move and my heart is with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this rug posted on The Welcome Mat ~ who would have known that you did it so fast!!! Maybe your mom will end up being happier where there are people to be around and converse with! I always remember a story a friend told of just that ~ her mom ended up loving having someone to talk to!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank-you!