Who is Orange Sink?

My photo
Rice Lake, WI, United States
My home town is Rice Lake, a small town in northern Wisconsin. I own Red House Wool Studio~ an in-home wool and rug hooking business. I enjoy collecting and decorating with antiques and primitives. Orange Sink Blog is a journal of my interests and ramblings about life. Cathy Greschner

Email Me Here

Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Hooker's Hearts Desire


penny circle rug progress2010
Thought I'd show you the progress on my hooked penny circle rug. It's been a struggle to find the time to pull a few loops everyday, but I persist. A faulty thyroid (mine)is causing some strange symptoms. I don't quite know what's going on but need to give the ol' or should I say the young Doc a call. She's younger than me I'm quite sure. I'm on the medicine for an underactive thyroid(hypothyroidism). For a while there I thought I was going down the tubes with aches, fatigue, memory problems, a screwed up metabolism etc. We are still trying to get the proper strength of the medicine figured out. For awhile I felt half way decent. The last few weeks... not so much.
It's always sumpthin' it seems!
Lately I've been thinking alot about hearts. Those that read my blog regularly (bless your hearts) know that my Mom had heart surgery this last October. She is doing quite well considering. I do have to keep pretty close tabs on her though and help her with lots of daily concerns. She will be undergoing a difficult cataract surgery very soon. Our hearts and minds will be tested once again. Strong women? Well,I should say the kinds of serious health and medical things we've faced as a family this last year were not for the faint of heart. I remember not too long ago, I always felt a little queasy upon entering a hospital while visiting someone. In fact once I actually threw up in a friends room while visiting her shortly after she had surgery. Talk about embarrassed! That seems like eons ago. Having spent the better part of last year in hospitals and nursing homes it felt at times like I was part of the staff. When Mom was the most critical I packed my bags and rented a room a few blocks from the hospital. I stayed with her all day, catching a few hours of sleep at night. Looking back it's hard to believe we were there for almost a month and that I actually spent that much time in a hospital without losing my lunch!
I've learned a few things about hearts this past year. I've been fascinated by the medical technology and the Doctors we've met and dealt with through all of this.
I've read somewhere that the heart is the source of all knowledge. Think about that for a minute. I have and I think it's true. We each have in us the source of all knowledge! We just need to look into our hearts or maybe let our hearts tell us what's in there. Listen to your heart. Whatever our hearts desire. What does your heart desire?
After taking a deep breath..... I think mine desires a good nights rest. I'll sleep on these thoughts and tomorrow............I can think about it some more!
wool heart/painted benches

6 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    Even strong women have their moments when they need some reassurance. Becoming discouraged over your own and family member's health problems is NOT weakness!

    It's difficult enough supporting your Mom through her surgeries, but having to deal with your own health issues at the same time is above and beyond.

    Please know that I'm thinking of you! Email if you feel the need.
    From my heart to yours, Love and Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, almost forgot to mention that your penny rug is looking Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy,
    Your penny rug is wonderful and I love the wool heart. Isn't wool just wonderful to work with.
    Praying your mom's health improves, so you two can continue to make memories together.
    My 98 years old father lives two doors from me with my brother, I understand your concerns.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new header picture ~ those woolly hearts look very cozy! And the penny circles are coming along, too!
    It's hard to stay healthy and I sure hope you feel better soon ~ I keep telling my doctor that I have thyroid issues and that's why I'm pleasingly plump ~ the tests say NO!! It must be something else!!
    Take care of yourself while you're taking care of others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, your penny rug is just wonderful!
    Love your post on the hearts. They are really cute too! Makes my wheels start turning to create some of my own.
    I have to say I sympathize with you on your thyroid. I have had an underactive one going on 30 years now. Was diagnosed when I was almost 19 years old. About 4 years ago, I suffered terribly of not knowing what was going on. I had symptoms that just didn't make sense, but it all ended up being the thyroid numbers were off. Having had it for so long, I know what range I need to be in, not what the doctors tell me is normal range. Everyone is different. I will be praying for you that they can get your medicine adjusted soon and you can be feeling well! Looking forward to seeing more of your penny rug done. Keep hooking! Praying this year is a healthy one for you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Cathy - I too love your penny rug!! I wanted to let you know that I am keeping you and your mom in my prayers. I hope you are feeling better soon. I know it is so hard when our parents age and we need to help take care of them. It is wonderful that you are there for her. I love so far from my mom and I wish I could be there to help her. She just went through a very difficult cataract surgery too. I am so glad my sister is close but still you want to be with them to help them after all they have done for us.
    God Bless You ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank-you!