The Original Antique Rug
I've made quite a lot of progress on my antique rug adaptation. All the crazy elements in this rug are making me a little crazy. As you can see by looking at the photo of the original antique version above, the hooker from olden days did a lovely job making everything pleasing to the eye.
My version is being hooked within a 10 1/2 by 21 inch space. My elements don't have much breathing room. If I were to hook this rug again I'd reduce the elements down a notch with more background space. So you can see that I've eliminated a couple of those doo hicky things at the bottom and filled in with background colors instead hoping to gain a little more space and make the overall design less busy.
If you"ll notice around the blue bird on the left I did a little technique know as tunneling. This is the practice of carefully hooking in a much narrower strip of contrasting wool between two standard size rows of hooking. Tunneling gives definition to a motif within a design. This technique is especially helpful in creating subtle definition for primitive faces, flowers, animal features and lettering. I will be redoing that in a different lighter value wool cut a little narrower.
There will be more reverse hooking and tweaking on this rug before I am finished. Tomorrow it's back to the taxes covering my dining room table. Knowing I have "antique crazy rug" waiting for me to come play is making the taxing chore of income tax reporting a little more bearable. What I can't figure out is why the little bit of income I have to report is taking me so long to prepare! It's just plain crazy!