Who is Orange Sink?

My photo
Rice Lake, WI, United States
My home town is Rice Lake, a small town in northern Wisconsin. I own Red House Wool Studio~ an in-home wool and rug hooking business. I enjoy collecting and decorating with antiques and primitives. Orange Sink Blog is a journal of my interests and ramblings about life. Cathy Greschner

Email Me Here

Friday, May 26, 2017

The Magic of Gardening

My Garden of Weedin'! 




If you've been following my blog for very long you probably know of my love for gardening.  My mother was an avid gardener.  She loved planting, digging and trying new plants.  Her gardens were lovely. 

Along with her love for gardening, my mother left me a menagerie of gardening stuff! I decided to honor her life this year by using some of her things in my gardens and plantings. Perhaps in new ways she wouldn't have thought of...but I'm sure she would  have appreciated the results!
She collected rocks, shells and crystals when she and Dad used to travel south for the winters. She had bags of the prettiest little crystals and rocks. 
I made a fairy garden in an old wheelbarrow and used her crystals and rocks to make a little path for the gnome who resides among the plantings.


The coral bells are from her garden. She had both the dark purple ones and the green ones. 

I moved my fountain closer to the house this year.  I love the sound of water trickling while sitting on the deck in the evening. 


One of the things I've been putting to good use is this little electric Neutron lawn mower! Mom bought it several years ago and didn't get the chance to use it much. Hubby mows the lawns for the most part but I've been tooling around the yard with this little battery powered thing!
It's so light weight and starts up so easy! 
I am getting a lot of excercise as well!
We were going to sell it... in fact we tried it on a recent garage sale and no one bit! I am so glad... 
It's been working out perfect for me!

Did you catch a glimpse of my little gnome?  He is the cutest and has a paint brush with blue paint on it! I think he painted all those little blue stones in the magic of the early morning light!

There's even one blue one among the crystals in the little pond!
He sure must have been busy!

Any time spent in the garden, digging in the dirt, planting and watching things grow is magical for me!
I know exactly why my mom loved it so! 
There's never a bad day spent in a garden!
Like magic it heals the heart,
nutures the soul.

My bones may ache after a day filled with vigorous work!
But the magic keeps me going... and the weeds promised they would be back!

Cathy G.


26 comments:

  1. Love these pics of ur gardens!! Wow,,, just lovely!! Thanks for the tour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love your water fountain and want to get one but they are so expensive... I also love that fairy garden and your mom's crystals and rocks. I pick little colorful rocks too from my garden. Now I started collecting some for James, my little grandson.

    My passion is gardening and I seem to over do it with dividing perennials and replanting but it brings me lots of joy. In the summer I spend a lot of time outdoors.

    I agree, gardening has been so therapeutic for me too. Although gardens are never perfect or weed free, planting and seeing things grow and bloom is magic. So much beauty that we could never duplicate. We manipulate but God creates.
    I get plenty of exercise with the old push gas lawn mower but I like that little green machine. I'm glad that you kept that cute little mower. I didn't know they came that small.

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fairy garden. I am sure your Mom is smiling down on you and your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an inspiration! Such a lovely garden. I'm sure your mom would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its all so pretty! I too love to garden, was outside yesterday all day too - finally no rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fairy garden ! Everything looks so nice !!! It just feels good playing in the dirt !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cathy,
    You certainly inherited a green thumb from your mom!! The fairy garden is really sweet and love all the other pretty blooms, too! I am really not a gardener as most things just don't grow for me, but I will say that I once had a perennial garden filled with old bird houses, bench, old chair and some other old things and it really was beautiful AND EVERYTHING GREW!!! Now we live in AZ and I am surrounded by rocks! No mowing for me!!
    Thanks for sharing your lovely garden and hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reconnecting with your Mother through gardening--healing time well spent

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have gone away from a lot of annuals and more veggies I always over did it with the pots and spent most of every night watering. love your fairy garden
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your gardens are wonderful and wonderful that you have some of your mom's plantings.
    I love the idea of doing a fairy section in mine, have been looking at things I could use, will be fun to do one this year and I am sure the boys would love it when they visit.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your gardens and wish you would come RESCUE ME. I can't really say garden because the yard is so big and so many spots where there used to be a garden and I'm just too long on the tooth to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always ADORED getting starts of plants and flowers from friends' gardens - it gives history to the yard and wonderful memories! Can you tell me what kind of flower you show in your second photo? The one that is multi-colored pink, orange & yellow? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle, the plant is a Lantana Camara... the Hummingbirds love it!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful garden!
    Loved your photos!
    Loved the wheel barrow especially!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your gardens look lovely and dirt under the fingernails is good for the soul.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning Cathy - your gardens look wonderful and I love that you inherited those wonderful treasures from your mother. I so wish I had just one little thing from my mother.
    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a treat to see Cathy!!!!! Love your gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good job and thanks for sharing such a good information.very interesting ,very nice,i really like your information. Very useful informations. Thx
    i99bet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you have a solution!!It’s really a great information to me.this content I have got lots of ideas.
    joker123

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for writing this awesome tutorial.Keep it up.Many thanks.I’m just starting out with both myself.bk8

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post. Keep it up. Thanks for advice. It is wonderful information for me
    sagame66
    sagame77
    sagame88

    ReplyDelete
  21. ts911 พนันออนไลน์ สมัครสมาชิกรับโบนัสสูงถึง 1500 บาท

    ReplyDelete
  22. . สล็อตออนไลน์ ufabet808
    สำหรับสายชิล ขอลุ้นสิ่งเดียว ไม่ต้องการคิดเยอะแยะ จะต้อง สล็อต เลยครับผมเหมาะสมอย่างยิ่ง โบนัสก็นานัปการ เอฟเฟกต์ตัวช่วยก็เยอะ
    ufabet
    แทงบอลออนไลน์
    คาสิโนออนไลน์
    สล็อตออนไลน์
    บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  23. pg slot ที่ไหนก็ได้ ไม่ต้องโหลดแอปก็เล่นได้ มีบริการ เติม-ถอน ผ่านระบบอัตโนมัติบริการตลอด 24 ชม.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank-you!