Who is Orange Sink?

My photo
Rice Lake, WI, United States
My home town is Rice Lake, a small town in northern Wisconsin. I own Red House Wool Studio~ an in-home wool and rug hooking business. I enjoy collecting and decorating with antiques and primitives. Orange Sink Blog is a journal of my interests and ramblings about life. Cathy Greschner

Email Me Here

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Friends Near and Far~ Encourage One Another!



Yesterday was our second Tuesday of the Month Hook-in here at Red House Wool Studio! Our merry band of hookers and stitchers numbered seven of us! The flu and other ailments kept a few home and we wish them full recovery in time for next month's gathering.
A big WELCOME to our newest rug hooker!  Kathy is being taught by Cindy to hook and appliqué! Now can you believe this is her very first rug?!!  Oh my goodness!  She says she LOVES it so far and is already talking about designing her own rug!  That is when you know someone is hooked for ever!
Cindy had the pattern she gave to Kathy and purchased it from Carrie Martin www.onerugtworug.com  
Kathy has finished several wool applique' projects as well! We are excited to see what she will bring for show and tell next month! 




Our most prolific hooker Lisa has finished the hooking on her doves rug ( antique adaptation by Sally Kalin Pine Island Primitives). Don't you just love the colors she chose! She is doing a fabulous job on the antique rugs she loves so much! 


Everyone gathered around to admire and offer advice on another antique adaption of a sheep rug that Lisa is working on!  Oh the colors in this rug are wonderful! She's so close to finishing this one too!  Now the binding Lisa!  We all know you love to bind ( not) LOL!  But they are not really rugs until they are bound as I like to remind ( myself included)! 


Working together and enjoying each other's company!


Cindy helps Kathy with the binding on her rug! It's so encouraging to see the help and encouragement  amongst our group. I believe it is a trait of rug hookers and wool enthusiasts the world over! How we delight in helping our "sisterhood" learn to work with their hands and create. A gift beyond measure as it has a healing quality.  Who wouldn't love to give and recieve such a precious gift! 


Cindy shares a cute wool pincushion she made using wool applique pennies!  We all loved the vintage look and the way it is lightly stuffed with crushed walnut shells to give it weight and that old feel! 


Nancy had her wool applique piece machine quilted and it is really beautiful! She can't wait for Fall to display it in her home!

I received this beautiful Valentines Cyclamen plant from Cindy!  It is just gorgeous!  I have never had a Cylamen plant before.. so I hope it's easy to grow!  Thank you Cindy dear friend!  
As I mentioned in my title that friends near and FAR encourage one another, I recieved this photo of a Santa rug that my online fellow rug hooker and friend Marolyn from Sierra Madre, California designed and hooked!  
We have been emailing and keeping in touch now for a couple of years and she is so encouraging to me and a wonderful lady!   I have this plan to someday travel to all the places that I have online friends to visit them in person!  In the meantime we need to keep sharing our rugs and happenings through emails etc. 
Isn't this rug just as awesome as they come! The design, color planning and that blue bird ( oh how I love it)!  The beard is really great!  
Thank you so much Marolyn for letting me share it! 
It makes me want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas! 
But Easter and Spring shall take place first..
and I for one WELCOME them both!

Cathy G

13 comments:

  1. I see Lisa hanged the color of the sheep's head, it was dark. Looks much better. She did choose wonderful colors as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops the word was to be "changed" not hanged, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love to see all of your happy faces! beautiful projects, all :)
    L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy did an awesome job on her first rug!! And Lisa's rugs are gorgeous. She chooses the best colors.
    That Santa ~ so cool.
    Happy hooking :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,
    I was thinking of how happy each gal looks as she shares her projects!! Even though we are all grown up now, we still love SHOW AND TELL, don't we??
    Lovely ladies, lovely rugs, lovely post!!
    Doesn't get much better!!
    Enjoy your week, my friend!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always so much fun to see what your group is working on - thanks for the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, those rugs are so beautiful and I love the colors. You always have such talented ladies in your studio. Everyone have such beautiful projects.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are all such wonderful projects!
    Loved the doves, and all the other things.
    What a fun group!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun group...and such wonderful projects!! My favorite, though, has to be Lisa's sheep rug...that is to-die-for GORGEOUS! Is that her own pattern? I know it's an antique adaptation, but curious if there might be a pattern out there....(should I ever find my hook and get back to it....) We used to have a hook-in group too...but it sorta splintered... When you live in never-never land, it is hard to get into to town some days (especially with Wisconsin winters) or to convince others to come to you....and in the summer, well, everyone is busy enjoying the whole two months. ;o) Hope all is well my friend... Happy Belated Valentine's Day! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great group of ladies encouraging and supporting each other !
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you'd like an alternative to randomly dating girls and trying to find out the right thing to do...

    If you'd prefer to have women pick YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in filthy bars and restaurants...

    Then I urge you to watch this eye-opening video to learn a weird secret that might get you your very own harem of hot women:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM...

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow !!! beautiful and so lovely work :) i really like your good idea so much.Thank for sharing.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank-you!