Who is Orange Sink?

My photo
Rice Lake, WI, United States
My home town is Rice Lake, a small town in northern Wisconsin. I own Red House Wool Studio~ an in-home wool and rug hooking business. I enjoy collecting and decorating with antiques and primitives. Orange Sink Blog is a journal of my interests and ramblings about life. Cathy Greschner

Email Me Here

Friday, October 23, 2009

It's A Dog Day Afternoon!

Photobucket
The dogs are dozing on the willow bench in the breezeway while huge white globs of snow slop towards the earth outside. Mom is catching her 12:30 soap opera while perched on a footstool in the living room.
Photobucket
Everyone it seems is quite content to stay inside today and soak up the toasty heat from the wood fire. Mom is doing well. We've had Dr's visits this week along with home health care visits and physical therapy. Just two weeks out from having major heart surgery I find it satisfying to see her doing anything.
I'm rambling today trying to collect my thoughts for this blog. Today is one of those days when I really don't want to think. It's wonderful to glance outside and watch the snow forming. It started out as wet globs splattering like big bugs on the windshield. I didn't see the instant it changed over into all white glittery flakes, sifting slowly now like powdered sugar over a bare chocolate cake.
Okay, I'll snap out of it. I need to get serious. There are important things to think about. I wanted to tell you about the cows up there in my blog header.

They are taken from an old oil painting done by my great grandmother on my Dad's side of the family. Her name was Emma. Quite the lady I am told. From all of the stories I've heard about her the one I find most fascinating is the one where she threw a fellow out of the barn while she was milking cows. Evidently the chap made a rude comment about Kate Smith, a popular singer at the time whom she adored. You didn't get away with that around Emma. She'd put you in your place. She was an artist. She painted her surroundings in life such as the cows and flowers. I'm told this cow painting was one of her earliest, painted around the turn of the century(1910). It hangs above our mantel in the living room.

How I wish I could have met Emma! I've studied this painting since childhood when it hung in the farmhouse we lived in. I'd always hoped that somehow it would bring me closer to her. Knowing what she knew, seeing what she saw. I love looking at the way she painted cows. Quite dainty and fine for such cumbersome creatures don't you think? I think she liked cows.

I've rambled enough today. I'll leave you with a photo of the cow painting. It's still in it's original frame that is quite beat up. I will not change it, for I know she touched it.

emmascowsfull

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy

    Great news about your Mom and I love the cozy picture of your babies. Your great grandmother sounds like a heck of a lady and she was a wonderful painter. I know what you mean about the frame...almost a touchstone...

    Snow in Wisconsin already? You are ahead of us in Newfoundland...we had a touch of snow but is gone already. Leaves are almost all off the trees but we are still on the plus side of the thermometer. That is above 32 F...

    bye for now

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Snow!!! I'm envikous! Here in PA we've had a little bit of frost here and there, but no SNOW!
    Love the painting and the stories about your great grandmother. What a treasure to remember her by!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank-you!